Alfred Deller chante Purcell
- Alfred Deller chante Purcell
- Alfred Deller et al.
Classica « Les enregistrements mythiques » No
Henry Purcell (1659-1695)
Henry Purcell (m) / ?Thomas Betterton (t) after a Midsummer
Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
The Fairy Queen (Z. 629, 1693 version)
- Aria (Mystery): I am come to lock all fast (Z. 629/12)
Prelude and Aria (Secrecy): One charming night (Z. 629/13)
- Aria (Juno): Thrice Happy Lovers (Epithalamium) (Z.
- Aria (a Woman): O let me weep (The plaint) (Z. 629/40)
- Prelude and Aria (a Chinese woman): Hark how all things in one
sound agree (Z. 629/47)
Henry Purcell (m) / John Dryden and Nathaniel Lee (t)
Oedipus, King of Thebes (Z. 583, ?1692)
- Song (from Act III): Music for a while (Z. 583/2)
Henry Purcell (m) / Henry Heveningham (t)
- If music be the food of love (Z. 379B, first setting,
Henry Purcell (m) / Abraham Cowley (t)
Cantata: « If ever I more riches did desire » (Z.544,
- Here let my life (Z. 544/5a)
Henry Purcell (m) / C. Fishburn (t)
Welcome to all the pleasures (Z. 339, 1683 (Ode on St. Cecilia's
- Here the Deities approve
Henry Purcell (m) / Thomas Betterton (t) (after J Fletcher,
The Prophetess or the History of Dioclesian (Z. 627, 1690)
- Since from my dear Astrea's sight (Z. 627/App2 )
Henry Purcell (m) / Richard Norton (t)
Pausanias, the Betrayer of his Country (Z. 585, 1695/96)
- Sweeter than roses (Z. 585/1)
Henry Purcell (m) / Nahum Tate (t), (after Shakespeare)
The Sicilian Usurper (The History of King Richard the Second) (Z.
- Retir'd from any mortal's sight (Z. 581/1)
Henry Purcell (m) / William Congreve (t)
The Old Bachelor) (Z. 607, 1693)
- Thus to a ripe, consenting maid (Z. 607/10)
Henry Purcell (m) / William Fuller (t)
- Now that the sun hath veiled his light (An Evening Hymn on
a Ground) (Z. 193)
Henry Purcell (m) / ?Nahum Tate (t)
Come ye sons of Art, away (Birthday Ode for Queen Mary II)
(Z. 323, 1694)
- Come ye Sons of Art away (Z. 323, exc.)
Sound the trumpet, 'til around (Z. 323, exc.)
Performers recording site and date:
See links below
Playing time: 56' 14"
Excerpts (from original release)
, , - Vanguard "The Bach
Guild" BG 547 [LP, mono] Music of Henry Purcell, Matthew
Locke & John Jenkins
,  HMV C 4044 [78rpm] Epithalamium
– Sweeter than roses
, ,  HMV C 4247 [78rpm] Henry
Purcell: The Fairy Queen - King Richard II - Old Bachelor
- HMV C 3890 [78rpm] Music for a
 HMV C 4144 [78rpm] Purcell –
 L'Oiseau-Lyre DL 53004 [LP, France,
mono, 25cm] Purcell: Come ye sons of art
Information from CD.
This CD was released as as a "bonus" CD with November
2008 edition of Classica.
To purchasing information for this disc.
To FAQ references to this recording.
To FAQ CD index page.