Byrd: Pavans and Galliards
- Byrd: Pavans and Galliards
- Davitt Moroney
Harmonia Mundi 901241/42 (2 CDs)
From My Lady Nevell's Book (1591):
- First Pavan & Galliard (C minor)
- Second Pavan & Galliard (G major)
- Third Pavan & Galliard (A minor)
- Fourth Pavan & Galliard (C major)
- Fifth Pavan & Galliard (C minor)
- Sixth Pavan & Galliard "Kinborough Good" (C
- Seventh Pavan "2 in 1" (G major)
- Eight Pavan (A minor)
- Ninth Pavan & Galliard "Passing Measures" (G
Moroney's "Second Cycle":
- Prelude; Tenth Pavan & Galliard "Sir William Petre"
(also from My Lady Nevell's Book, third section; G minor)
- Pavan & Galliard (C major; BK 33)
- "Lachrymae" Pavan & "Harding's" Galliard
- "Echo" Pavan & Galliard (G major)
- Prelude, Pavan & Galliard "Tregian" (F major)
- Pavan & 2 Galliards "The Earl of Salisbury" (A
- Galliard "Mary Brownlow" (C major)
- Galliard (D minor; BK 53)
- Pavan & Galliard "Quadran" (G major)
Playing time: 118'
Recording date: May 1986
Instrument: Harpsichord - anonymous Italian c.1677 (Kenneth
The first disc is taken from the cycle of Pavans & Galliards
that Byrd arranged for his My Lady Nevell's Book of keyboard
music. The second disc was arranged by Moroney to complement the
first, beginning with the Pavan & Galliard found later in the
same publication but apart from the first cycle. All of these
pieces were presumably written later than those on the first disc.
In fact, Byrd wrote a large percentage of his keyboard works,
particularly the more austere pavan & galliard sets, toward
the end of his life.
To purchasing information for this disc.
To FAQ references to this recording.
To FAQ CD index page.
Todd M. McComb