- Georg Friedrich Handel
Various performers, Les Arts Florissants - William Christie, dir.
Harmonia Mundi HMC 40 1498 / 99 [Cass. x2]
Harmonia Mundi HMC 90 1498 / 99 [CDx2]
Harmonia Mundi HMX 290 1498 / 99 [CDx2]
Harmonia Mundi HML 590 1498 / 99 [CDx2 + book]
Georg Friedrich Handel
Messiah, Oratorio (Dublin, 1742)
- Recitative "Comfort ye, my people, saith your God"
- Air "Every valley shall be exalted"
- Chorus "And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed"
- Recitative "Thus saith the Lord of Hosts"
- Air "But who may abide the day of His coming?"
- Chorus "And He shall purify the sons of Levi"
- Recitative "Behold, a virgin shall conceive"
Air "O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion"
Chorus "O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion"
- Recitative "For behold, darkness shall cover the
Air "The people that walked in darkness"
- Chorus "For unto us a child is born"
- Pastoral Symphony
- Recitative "There were shepherds abiding in the field"
"And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them"
"And the angel said unto them: Fear not"
Chorus "Glory to God in the highest"
- Air "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion"
- Recitative "Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened"
Air "He shall feed His flock like a shepherd"
- Chorus "His yoke is easy, and His burthen is light"
- Chorus "Behold the lamb of God"
- Air "He was despised and rejected of men"
- Chorus "Surely He hath borne our griefs - All we like
sheep have gone astray"
- Recitative "All they that see Him laugh Him to scorn"
Chorus "He trusted in God that He would deliver Him"
- Recitative "Thy rebuke hath broken His heart"
Air "Behold and see if there be any sorrow"
Recitative "He was cut off out of the land of the living"
- Air "But Thou didst not leave His soul in hell"
- Chorus "Lift up your heads, O ye gates"
- Recitative "Unto which of the angels said He at any
Chorus "Let all the angels of God worship Him"
- Air "Thou art gone up on high"
- Chorus "The Lord gave the world"
- Air "How beautiful are the feet of them"
- Chorus "Their sound is gone out into all lands"
- Air "Why do the nations so furiously rage together"
- Chorus "Let us break their bonds asunder"
- Recitative "He that dwelleth in heaven shall laugh them
Air "Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron"
- Chorus "Hallelujah!"
- Air "I know that my redeemer liveth"
- Chorus "Since by man came death"
- Recitative "Behold, I tell you a mystery"
Air "The trumpet shall sound"
- Recitative "Then shall be brought to pass the saying that
Duet "O Death, where is thy sting?"
Chorus "But thanks be to God who giveth us the victory"
- Air "If God be for us, who can be against us?"
- Chorus "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain"
- Chorus "Amen"
Playing time: 77' 00" + 65' 10" = 2h 22' 10"
Andreas Scholl (counter-tenor), Barbara Schlick (soprano), Sandrine
Piau (soprano), Mark Padmore (tenor), Nathan Berg (bass)
Les Arts Florissants
William Christie, dir.
Recording site and date:
Rel. 1994 (HMC), 1999 (HMX), 2005 (HML)
, [8.2] Harmonia mundi "Passerelles"
HMB 590 017 / 18 [CDx2 + book] Les Contre-ténors - Mythes
et Réalités (with a book by Peter Giles)
,  Harmonia Mundi "Century"
HMX 290 8174 L'Angleterre baroque - Baroque England / Un
siècle de musique anglaise (1650-1760) - Masks, Anthems
[?] Harmonia mundi HMX 290 8006 [CDx5] Une histoire de la
musique baroque - Le domaine sacré: messe, vêpres,
motet... [etc.] / Roland de Lassus, Claudio Monteverdi, Domenico
Mazzocchi... [et al.],
Early Music America (Vol./#-p.):
Goldberg (y., #-p.):
Information from Harmoniamundi.fr and Bn-Opale plus.
To purchasing information for this disc.
To FAQ references to this recording.
To FAQ CD index page.