China - Classical Anthology
- Chine: Musique classique
- Ocora (Radio France) C 559039
Ocora mid-price C 582039
- Guang Pinghu (1891-1976; guqin): Liushui - "Flowing
- Cao Zheng (b.1920; zheng): Gaoshan Liushui - "High
mountains & Flowing waters" (1960)
- Zhao Yuzhai (b.1923; zheng): Hangong quiyue - "Autumn
moon over the Han palace" (1960)
- Li Tingsong (1906-1976; pipa): Shimian maifu - "Ambushed
from all sides" (c.1960)
- Lu Chunting (b.1921; dizi): Zhegu fei - "Partridge"
- Tu Chunxi (guanzi) / Gua Jingming (sheng): Sishan
xiang - "Incense over the monastery" (1960)
- Gan Bolin (erhu): Ting song - "Listening to the
- Liu Jun (sihu): Ying diao - "Shadow tune"
- Liu Tianyi (b.1910; gaohu): Yimeng shan - "Mount
- Liu Tianyi (gaohu): Qionghan ge - "Poor man's
- Li Yi (b.1932; sanxian): Dalang tao sha - "Waves
washing the beach" (1959)
- Wang Yifu (b.1917; yangqin): Xiu hebao - "Embroidered
- Sun Yude (1904-1981; xiao): Liu yao jin - "Silver
- Sun Yude (pipa): Fei fua dian cui - "Snowing petals
on the grass" (1971)
- Zhao Chunting (1910-1984; guanzi) / Wang Boyun
(sheng): Haiquing ge - "Gerfalcon's song"
- Xia Fuxi (1895-1986; guqin): Changmen yan - "Resentment
at the Changmen palace" (c.1960)
- ? Fu Xeuzhai (1896-1966; guqin): Pu'an zhou -
"Incantation of Pu'an" (c.1960)
Playing time: 74'10"
Recording dates given in parentheses above. This is a very fine
historical collection, although some tracks have noticeable static.
One point of interest is that some styles have changed noticeably
since the political changes in China, and so historical recordings
such as this provide a way to appraise some of the older masters.
Instruments are as follows:
- guqin = 7-string zither
- zheng = movable bridge zither (13 or 21 strings)
- pipa = large, fretted, pear-shaped lute
- dizi = side-blown flute
- guanzi = cylindrical-bore oboe
- sheng = bamboo mouth organ
- erhu = 2-string fiddle
- sihu = 4-string fiddle
- gaohu = 2-string fiddle (one fourth higher than erhu)
- sanxian = 3-string unfretted lute
- yangqin = hammered dulcimer, derived from santur
- xiao = vertical bamboo flute
To purchasing information for this disc.
To Chinese music intro.
T. M. McComb