- Cascades of Carnatic Music
- M. L. Vasanthakumari
w/ T. Rukmani (violin), Palghat T.S. Mani Iyer (mridangam), S.D.
Sridhar (violin), S.V. Raja Rao (mridangam), Hari Shankar (kanjira)
Oriental 158/159 (2 CDs)
- Swaminadha Paripaalaya - Natai/Adi - Muthuswamy Dikshitar (6'37)
- RTP: "Kadaikkan Vaithennai" - Mohanam/Thisra jathi
Rupakam, Misra gathi (37'03)
- Adhalasera - Ragamalika/Rupakam (2'49)
- Gana Naayagam - Poorna Sadjamam/Adi - Muthuswamy Dikshitar (3'48)
- Ennaadu Nee - Vachaspathi/Adi - Thyagaraja (17'06)
- Lalisidalu - Karaharapriya/Adi - Rangasami Parthasarathy (3'10)
- Senthamizh Nadenum - Poorvi Kalyani/Adi - Rangasami Parthasarathy
- Sancharadhara (Ashtapathi) - Ragamalika/Adi - Balamurali Krishna
- Rama Namathukku - Kalyana Vasantham/Adi (3'15)
- Anjana Kaanjana - Ragamalika/Adi (5'08)
Sound quality: good
Recording date: unknown; re-released from LP
The first CD (the first three tracks) is accompanied by T.
Rukmani and Palghat T.S. Mani Iyer, while the second CD (the final
seven tracks) is accompanied by S.D. Sridhar, S.V. Raja Rao and
This remains among the most effective studio programs for MLV,
with the first two tracks being especially compelling. Some of
the tracks on the second disc are of limited value, but the overall
quality is good here.
Mohanam is a raga at which MLV particularly excelled, and many
of her recordings feature it. The RTP here continues to be a good
To purchasing information for this disc.
To Carnatic CD list.
T. M. McComb