Shen Qi Mi Pu
- Qu Xian: Shen Qi Mi Pu
- The Emaciated Immortal's Handbook of Spiritual and Marvelous
Toadall Sound 20001-6 (6 CDs)
Folio I - Celestial Airs of Antiquity
- Dunshi Cao - "Withdrawing from society"
- Guangling San - "Guangling melody"
- Huaxu Yin - "Huaxu clan prelude"
- Gufeng Cao - "The ancient style"
- Gao Shan - "High mountains"
- Liu Shui - "Flowing streams"
- Yang Chun - "Sunny spring"
- Xuan Mo - "Profoundly serene"
- Zhao Yin - "Seeking seclusion"
- Jiu Kuang - "Wine crazed"
- Huo Lin - "Capturing the unicorn"
- Kaizhi - "Opening fingering"
- Qiuyue Zhao Maoting - "Autumn moon shining on the thatch
- Shanzhong Si Youren - "In the mountains, thinking of an
- Xiao Hujia - "Short version of nomad reed pipe"
- Yi Zhen - "Nourishing reality"
Folio II - Celestial Airs from Beyond the Rosy Haze
- Shenpin Gong Yi - "Celestial air defining Gong mode"
- Guangshan You - "Wandering in a lunar place"
- Meihua Sannong - "Three repetitions of the plum
- Shenpin Shang Yi - "Celestial air defining Shang
- Shenpin Gushang Yi - "Celestial air defining old Shang
- Kai Gu - "Sigh for antiquity"
- Wang Ji - "Without schemes"
- Yin De - "Hidden virtue"
- Guangshan Qiu - "Autumn in a lunar place"
- Tianfeng Huan Pei - "Jade pendants in a heavenly
- Shen You Liuhe - "Spirit roaming the universe"
- Chang Qing - "Long clarity"
- Duan Qing - "Short clarity"
- Bai Xue - "White snow"
- He Ming Jiugao - "Cranes cry in the nine marshpools"
- Yi Lan - "Flourishing orchid"
- Shenpin Jiao Yi - "Celestial air defining Jiao mode"
- Lingxu Yin - "Ascending the great void"
- Liezi Yu Feng - "Liezi rides the wind"
- Shenpin Zhi Yi - "Celestial air defining the Zhi
- Zhi Yi - "Defining Zhi mode"
- Shanju Yin - "Mountain life"
- Yu Hui Tushan - "Emperor Yu's gathering at mount Tu"
- Qiao Ge - "Woodcutter's song"
- Shenpin Yu Yi - "Celestial air defining Yu mode"
- Zhi Zhao Fei - "Pheasants' morning flight"
- Wu Ye Ti - "Evening call of the raven"
- Shenpin Wuyi Yi - "Celestial air defining Wuyi mode"
- Huangyun Qiusai - "Yellow clouds of autumn at the
- Longshuo Cao - "Lament from Longshuo"
- Da Hujia - "Long version of the nomad reed pipe"
- Da Ya - "Epic virtue"
- Shenpin Biyu Yi - "Celestial air defining Biyu mode"
- Baji You - "Roaming to the eight corners"
- Shenpin Ruibin Yi - "Celestial air defining Ruibin
- Fan Canglang - "Floating on the Canglang river"
- Xiao Xiang Shui Yun - "Clouds over the Xiao and Xiang
- Shenpin Qiliang Yi - "Celestial air defining Qiliang
- Shenpin Chushang Yi - "Celestial air defining Chushang
- Zepan Yin - "Marshbank melody"
- Li Sao - "Falling into grief"
- Chu Ge - "Song of chu"
- Shenpin Shangjiao Yi - "Celestial air defining Shangjiao
- Shenhua Yin - "Metamorphosis"
- Zhuangzhou Meng Die - "Zhuangzi's butterfly dream"
- Shenpin Guxian Yi - "Celestial air defining Guxian
- Feiming Yin - "Calling out while flying"
- Qiu Hong - "Wild geese in autumn"
Instruments: untitled qin, Qing Dynasty; untitled qin, Ming
Dynasty (standard & thick silk strings)
Playing time: 317'
Recording date: 1998/9 (Cheung Chau Island, Hong Kong)
John Thompson is presently unique in his focus on performing
qin music with silk strings. Since the 1960s, qin performance has
been on metal strings, in contrast to its previous history.
The present program consists of the complete Shen Qi Mi Pu
(1425), the earliest printed qin handbook, compiled & edited
by Zhu Quan (1378-1448), the 16th or 17th son of the founder of
the Ming Dynasty. The pieces have been reconstructed by John
Thompson for the performance.
To purchasing information for this disc.
To Chinese music intro.
T. M. McComb