Ferrabosco I & II: Consort Music
- Ferrabosco I & II: Consort Music
- Rose Consort of Viols
CPO 999 859
- II: Dovehouse Pavan a 5
- II: Almain a 5
- I: Feurunt mihi lachrime a 4
- I: Solo e pensoso a 5
- II: Fantasy No. 6 a 6
- II: Fantasy No. 3 a 6
- I: In Nomine No. 1 a 5
- I: In Nomine No. 2 a 5
- II: Fantasy No. 14 a 4
- II: Fantasy No. 16 a 4
- I: Ut re mi a 3
- I: Di sei bassi a 6
- II: Hexachord Fantasy No. 1 a 5
- II: Hexachord Fantasy No. 2 a 5
- II: Pavan in C a 5
- II: Three almains in C a 5
- II: Fantasy No. 8 "for three trebles" a 6
- II: In Nomine No. 2 a 6
- I: Fantasia a 4
- I: Susanne un jour a 5
- II: Fantasy No. 2 a 6
- II: In Nomine through all parts a 6
Performers: John Bryan, Alison Crum, Sarah Groser, Roy Marks,
Susanna Pell, Peter Wendland
Playing time: 76'
Recording date: June 1997 (Forde Abbey); released: 2003
This program intersperses music by Alfonso Ferrabosco I (1543-1588)
& Alfonso Ferrabosco II (1578-1628). They are marked "I"
& "II" above.
The older Ferrabosco was credited with introducing some elements
of Italian musical style into England, quickly embraced by Byrd.
He also left amidst various accusations, and never returned, leaving
the younger Ferrabosco behind. The circumstances of the latter's
upbringing are consequently rather less glorious than might be
assumed for someone whose father was a prominent professional
musician. Nonetheless, the younger Ferrabosco did also eventually
reach high court appointments himself.
Other programs devoted to one or both Ferraboscos:
- Alfonso Ferrabosco, the Younger: Consort Music to the Viols in
4, 5 & 6 Parts
- Hespèrion XXI - Jordi Savall
Alia Vox 9832
- Ferrabosco: Consort Music & Consort Songs
- Susan Hamilton / Ricercar Consort - Philippe Pierlot
- Ferrabosco I & II: Madrigals, Ayres & Consortmusic
- Josep Cabré / Private Musicke - Pierre Pitzi
ORF Shop 280
- Ferrabosco "Il Padre": Psaume 103 / Motets &
- Huelgas Ensemble - Paul Van Nevel
Harmonia Mundi 901874
Another program by the present ensemble on the present label:
- Upon a Bank with Roses
- Ward: Consort Music
CPO 999 928
To purchasing information for this disc.
To FAQ references to this recording.
To FAQ CD index page.
Todd M. McComb