Music Beyond Sound
- Music Beyond Sound: The Silk String Zither
- John Thompson
Toadall Sound 10001
- Guan Ju - "Cry of the Ospreys"
- Nanxun Ge - "Song of the Southern Breezes"
- Tiantai Yin - "Mount Tiantai Prelude"
- Yu Hui Tushan - "Emperor Yu's Meeting at Mount Tu"
- Si Shun - "Thinking of Emperor Shun"
- Shi Xian - "Respect the Virtuous"
- Shanju Yin - "Living in the Mountains"
- Yuge Diao - "Melody of the Fisherman's Song"
- Yuge - "Fisherman's Song"
- Wu Ye Ti - "Evening Call of the Raven"
- Zhi Zhao Fei - "Paired Pheasants Fly in the Morning"
- Qu Yuan Wen Du - "Qu Yuan Asks for Advice"
- Yangguan Sandie - "Thrice Parting for Yangguan"
Instrument: Qin "Night Rain over the Xiao and Xiang
Rivers" (Song Dynasty)
Playing time: 71'
Recording date: 1997 (Cheung Chau Island, Hong Kong)
John Thompson is presently unique in his focus on performing
qin music with silk strings. Since the 1960s, qin performance has
been on metal strings, in contrast to its previous history.
The present program consists of the pieces in Zheyin Shizi
Qinpu (c.1491) which are different from or not included in
Shen Qi Mi Pu (1425), the earliest
printed qin handbook.
To purchasing information for this disc.
To Chinese music intro.
T. M. McComb