- Holborne: Pavans, Galliards, Almains, etc.
- The Dowland Consort - Jakob Lindberg
- The Choise
- the widowes myte
- Heres paternus
- The night watch
- As it fell on a holie Eve
Heigh Ho holiday
- The Maydens of the Countrey
The Spanish Pavane
- Last will and testament
- The Honie-suckle
- The Fairie-round
Performers: Wendy Gillespie (treble & alto viols), Sarah
Cunningham (tenor & alto viols), Sarah Groser (small bass &
tenor viols), Richard Cunningham (consort bass viol), Alison Crum
(great bass viol), Jakob Lindberg (lute, bandora, cittern)
Playing time: 69'
Recording date: December 1989 & February 1990 (Petruskyrkan,
The consort pieces on this recording are taken from Holborne's
large printed collection of 1599. They were considered suitable
for viols, violins, or wind instruments. Many of them are lighter
in character than much of the consort output of the time.
Two other recordings:
- Holborne: The teares of the Muses
- Elizabethan Consort Music, Vol. II
Hespèrion XXI - Jordi Savall
Alia Vox 9813
- Holborne: The Fruit of Love
- L'Achéron - François Joubert-Caillet
Similar programs, featuring recorders & violins respectively:
- Holborne: The Image of Melancholy
- Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet
Channel Classics 2891
- Holborne: My Selfe
- 16th Century Pavans, Galliards, and Almains
Paul O'Dette / The King's Noyse - David Douglass
Harmonia Mundi USA 907238
Holborne also wrote a substantial amount of music for plucked
string instruments, together with Dowland's,
the largest such output in England. Some is included on the present
recording. Other such recordings:
- Holburns Passion
- Music for lute, cittern & bandora
AS&V Gaudeamus 173
- Holborne: Pieces for Lute
- Federico Marincola
Pierre Vérany 795112
- Holborne / Robinson - Pavans & Galliards
- Christopher Wilson / Shirley Rumsey
Holborne also wrote pieces specifically for cittern & bandora.
Track & performers information from Frank Cone.
To purchasing information for this disc.
To FAQ references to this recording.
To FAQ CD index page.
Todd M. McComb