- Tavern Songs
- Catches, glees and other diverse entertainments of merrie
The Deller Consort - Alfred Deller, dir.
Vanguard "The Bach Guild" BG-561 [LP, mono]
Vanguard "The Bach Guild" HM-62 SD [LP, e-stereo]
"A choice collection of the most diverting CATCHES, composed
by Mr. Henry Purcell"
Henry Purcell (c.1659-1695)
- Man Is for the Woman Made
- Sir Walter
- To Thee and to the Maid
- Chiding Catch ("Fie, Nay""; attributed both to Purcell
and John Blow)
- Once, Twice, Thrice
- When the Cock Begins to Crow
- An Epitaph: "Under This Stone"
Love songs, ribald and tender
Earl of Mornington (1735-1761)
- 'Twas You, Sir
Jeremy Savile (17th century)
- Had She Not Care Enough (on a widow who married an old
- Young Anthony
Anon. (published 1764)
- Amo, Amas, I Love a Lass
William Cornyshe: (c.1465 - c.1523)
- Ah, Robin
William Lawes (d.1645)
- Bess Black
Drinking Songs and Tavern Philosophies
Anon. (published 1609)
- I Am Athirst
John Eccles (1650-1735)
- Wine Does Wonders
William Cornyshe (c.1465 - c.1523)
- Hoyda, Jolly Rutterkin
- An Ape, a Lion, a Fox and an Ass
Anon. (collected by Thomas Lant, 1580)
- Troll the Bowl
John Travers (1703-1758)
- Fair and Ugly, False and True
Two centuries of English life in song
Anon. (Soldiers back from the Flemish wars, published
- We Be Soldiers Three
John Bennet (born c. 1570)
- Hunting madrigal: Lure, Falconers, Lure!
Henry Lawes (1595-1662): Age of Milton
- Sing Fair Clorinda
Benjamin Rogers (1614-98)
- Restoration pastoral: In the Merry Month of May
- Patriotic song: True Englismen
Reginald Spofforth (1770-1827)
- 18th century glee club: L'Ape e la Serpe
The Deller Consort
Alfred Deller (counter-tenor), Gerald English (tenor), Wilfred
Brown (tenor), Maurice Bevan (baritone)
Alfred Deller, dir.
Playing time: 49' 55" app.
Recording site and date:
Walthamstow Town Hall, Greater London ;
Vanguard Classics 08 5039 71 Tavern Songs
- 40 Catches, Glees etc. of Merrie England.
Musical Concepts MC 193 [CDx7 + CD-ROM]
Alfred Deller – The Complete Vanguard Recordings, Volume ONE:
Folk Songs and Ballads
,  Vanguard "The Bach Guild"
BG-606 [LP, mono] Musical Panorama of Shakespeare's England
, -, ,  Vanguard (Silverminds
Music) Classics 99 220 [CD] 50 years of The Deller Consort -
The early years 1955-1963.
Information from LP and CD (Musical Concepts); the MC release adds
Edgar Fleet (tenor) as a performer.
To FAQ references to this recording.
To FAQ CD index page.