- Gibbons: Choral and Organ Music
- Oxford Camerata - Jeremy Summerly
- O clap your hands
- Great Lord of Lords
- Hosanna to the son of David
- Prelude in G Major (organ)
- Out of the deep
- See, see, the word is incarnate
- Prelude in D minor (organ)
- Lift up your heads
- Almightly and everlasting God
- Magnificat (2nd Service)
- Nunc dimittis (2nd Service)
- Fantazia of four parts (organ)
- Magnificat (Short Service)
- Nunc dimittis (Short Service)
- O God, the king of glory
- O Lord, in thy wrath
Performers: Carys-Anne Lane, Lisa Beckley, Robin Blaze, Andrew
Carwood, Julian Smallbones, Robert Evans, Rebecca Outram, Deborah
MacKay, Michael Lees, Steven Harrold, Jonathan Arnold, Michael
McCarthy, Laurence Cummings (organ)
Playing time: 65'
Recording date: July 1994
Gibbons' generation was the first to grow up entirely in the new era
of English liturgical music. As such, his music does not show
throwbacks to the older Latin style, but rather rests entirely on clear
syllabic settings. Gibbons' control of harmonic momentum really sets
him apart from his contemporaries. Although this style had a
relatively brief life, Gibbons was undoubtedly its finest exponent.
This is a recording by a fairly small choir, supported by organ.
The selection is representative of Gibbons' sacred output as a whole.
The instrumental support was actually scored by Gibbons in his verse
anthems, although there is a choice available (depending on source)
between using organ or viols.
Along with an assortment of anthems, Gibbons wrote two
services for the Anglican ritual. These
are the "Short Service" and the "2nd Service"; the present recording
includes the Magnificat/Nunc dimiittis pair from each of these.
Some other recordings:
- Gibbons: Hymns and Songs of the Church
- Tonus Peregrinus - Antony Pitts
- With a Merrie Noyse
- Gibbons: Second Service & Consort Anthems
Choir of Magdalen College Oxford - Bill Ives / Rogers Covey-Crump
et al. / Fretwork
Harmonia Mundi USA 907337
- Gibbons: Anthems & Complete Organ Works
- Robert Woolley / Choir of St. John's College Cambridge
Chandos Chaconne 0559
- O Clap Your Hands
- Sacred Music by Orlando Gibbons
Choir of Manchester Cathedral / Rose Consort of Viols
- Hosanna to the Son of David
- Gibbons - Anthems
The Choir of Trinity College Cambridge / Fretwork - Richard Marlow
- Gibbons: Second Service and Anthems
- The Choir of New College Oxford - Edward Higginbottom
- Gibbons: Tudor Church Music
- The Choir of King's College Cambridge - Philip Ledger
AS&V Gaudeamus 123
- Gibbons: Anthems
- Robin Blaze / Stephen Varcoe / Winchester Cathedral Choir -
To purchasing information for this disc.
To FAQ references to this recording.
To FAQ CD index page.
Todd M. McComb